The Redwood Falls Public Library values the support and cooperation of all its visitors. Library patrons have the right to expect friendly and competent library services, provided in a safe and inviting atmosphere. The library may deny service to any patron who violates the rules and regulations of the library.
Library staff has the right to provide library services without fear of abuse or threatening behavior from people using the library or on library property.
Excessive behavior or actions that disturb or interfere with library patrons or employees of the library include:
For All Patrons
- Engaging in disruptive behavior that unreasonably disturbs others or interferes with library operations and services including, but not limited to:
- Speaking in a loud voice
- Using personal devices that are disruptive
- Running or horseplay
- Excessive noise
- Willfully annoying, harassing, or threatening another person including, but not limited to:
- Threats of any kind (verbal or physical)
- Obscene, abusive or racially charged language
- Sexual misconduct
- Stalking, staring or invading personal space
- Being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, and/or selling, using, possessing alcohol and/or drugs on library grounds.
- Sleeping or loitering without using library resources or services.
- Defacing or attempting to steal or destroy library property including, but not limited to:
- Writing in or highlighting library materials
- Cutting, tearing, or removing pages, pictures, and coupons from library materials
- Entering the library with inappropriate attire, such as bare feet or no shirt.
- Entering the library with animals or vehicles, except as required by persons of disabilities.
- Leaving children or other persons who need personal assistance unattended in the library where staff has a reasonable basis to be concerned for the safety of the unattended person.
- Failure to observe Internet Use Guidelines and Policy.
- Misusing restrooms, including bathing, laundering personal belongings, damaging soap/towel dispensers, or inappropriate use of toilet or sinks.
Especially for Children
Children are an important part of our library and our staff encourages children of all ages to visit and use the library and our programs. Children (and parents) must respect the rights of other library patrons. Parents or caregivers are ultimately responsible for the supervision, behavior, and damages incurred by their children. Library staff are not childcare providers and despite our best efforts, public places may not always be safe for unsupervised children. Please take this into consideration if your child is attending the library on his/her own.
- Adult supervision of children under the age of nine is strongly encouraged.
- Arrangements must be made to pick up children before the library closes. Attempts will be made to call parents or family members to pick up children left unattended at the library or on library property at closing. In the case where no family member is found, the Redwood Falls Police Department will be called to arrange for transportation and care. Under no circumstances will library staff transport children home or to other destinations.
- Children are expected to follow the guidelines outlined above for all patrons.
Library staff first gives a verbal warning to anyone violating these rules. If the conduct continues, the offender will be ordered to leave the premises. Staff members, at their discretion, will expel patrons without a warning in situations of serious, threatening, or willfully malicious behavior. Failure to observe the behavior policy may lead to revocation of library privileges, including the right to visit the building and grounds. Repeat offenders or persons ordered from the premises who do not comply, may be subject to arrest and prosecution for trespassing. Anyone wishing to appeal their exclusion may submit an appeal in writing to the Library Director.
Adopted and approved by the Redwood Falls City Council June 6, 2006. Revised and approved by Library Commission May 19, 2014.