History of the Redwood Falls Public Library
Below is a historical timeline of the Redwood Falls Public Library.
Library was Built
In 1904 with a $10,000 Andrew Carnegie Grant, a public library was built on the corner of Fourth and Jefferson. That building served Redwood Falls for ninety-one years. Following the construction of the new library at Chestnut and Lincoln, the old building was sold to a law firm.
Community Needs Study
In 1989 the library commission authorized a community needs study and initiated the planning processes.
The Community Comes Together
In 1994 the community accepted a donor’s challenge to match a $500,000 donation. The recognition wall records the community response and the accomplishment of building a 1.8 million-dollar 14,150 sq. ft. library without tax dollars.
A New Building
Groundbreaking began in May of 1995; the building was completed in December 1995.
Services at New Facility
Library services in the new facility began on January 23, 1996.